JAMB’s latest news reaching us today, is that the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board authorities have handed over, about 180 candidates in the just concluded Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examination to the police for prosecution over alleged involvement in various examination malpractices caught on Camera.
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board management disclosed to newsmen, that about 70% (percent) of the candidates have already been arraigned by the police in various courts, while the remaining 30% are still undergoing further investigation and would also face trial if found guilty.
Speaking on this issue, the JAMB’s Head of Media and Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin disclosed that the candidates were arrested across various JAMB centers during the conduct of the examination that ended Sunday, 22nd of March, 2020.
The board did something usual, it published the names and states of candidates who were caught in examination malpractices in its weekly bulletin. Imo, Anambra and Enugu state topped the list with 26, 12 and 12 candidates respectively, followed by other states with a lesser number.
Some of their offenses why the candidates were reported to the Police for persecution include:
- Examination by proxy,
- Attempt to cheat,
- Forceful entrance,
- Tampering with examination documents,
- Smuggling of mobile phones into the examination halls, etc.
Other states on the list of malpractices include:
- Abia State,
- Adamawa State,
- Jigawa State,
- Kaduna State,
- Kano State,
- Kwara State,
- Ondo State,
- Oyo State,
- Osun State.
Dr. Fabian further disclosed to newsmen that the 180 candidates have been reported to the police and arraignment had already started.
He said and I quote below:
“They are about 180 candidates who partook in various activities that goes against the JAMB code of conduct. We arrested them all over the country. We are harmonizing the list and following up on it to ensure that all of them are arraigned and persecuted by the court.
Most of the candidates have been arraigned already. About 70% of them have been arraigned already, while the remaining 30 percent are still undergoing investigation. He further explained that when the arraignment is concluded, the board will give a comprehensive report.
More details coming soon.