The Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU Admission Requirements for admission are slightly more demanding than other tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Yes, I know you are likely to ask what is their reason, well, they are OAU, but majorly because there are literally thousands of candidates applying for admission each year, so to select the most suitable, the school administration needs to put in certain requirements.
Going through this article, you’ll discover why the OAU admission requirements is quite different from a number of other universities in Nigeria. It’s no breaking news that the Obafemi Awolowo University is one of the oldest schools in Nigeria, situated in Ile Ife, Osun state. OAU holds the 5th position as best university in Nigeria, and currently the 33 best university in Africa! Now, you certainly can’t beat that.
This page offers you an answer to every disturbing questions you have about the OAU admission requirements, both for the UTME and Direct Entry Candidates.
- OAU Admission Requirements for 2022/23.
- OAU Admission Requirements:
- Does OAU Do Post UTME Screening?
- What Is the Official OAU JAMB Cut Off Mark?
- How To Calculate OAU Aggregate.
- OAU Admission Requirements For Direct Entry 2022/2023
- Does OAU Accept 2 Sittings?
- OAU Admission Requirements For Medicine And Surgery.
- OAU Admission Requirements For Law.
- OAU Admission Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Answers.
- CAN I ENTER OAU WITHOUT JAMB?
OAU Admission Requirements for 2022/23.
Some questions OAU aspirants are asking includes: “Does OAU accepts 2nd Choice in UTME”, etc. Candidates seeking admission into the Obafemi Awolowo University should take note that this institution system is built for those who are academically tough.
To be a student of OAU, you need to be hardworking and ready to compete with other candidates obviously seeking admission into OAU as well, starting from your O’level result (i.e, either your NECO result, WAEC result, GCE result) JAMB result, and finally, your Post UTME result.
OAU Admission Requirements:
- Your JAMB score needs to reach the OAU Cut off Marks, or better still, higher than the OAU cut off point.
- When registering for your UTME/JAMB, ensure that you select the Obafemi Awolowo university as your first choice of institution. This is the first requirement and take note that OAU doesn’t accept second choices.
- Another notable requirement is that you must be 16yrs of age to be admitted into OAU. This means if you scored 400 in JAMB, O’level all A’s, and you’re 15yrs, your admission will be cancelled.
- 5 credit passes in your SSCE with not more than two sittings for any course you’re applying for.
- You need to score high in your Post UTME screening exercise.
- Candidates whose name appeared on the OAU Admission list, but fails to pay their acceptance fee on time will have their admission forfeited.
- When the quota for your desired course has been met, and the course is really competitive, you are likely to be offered another course.
Does OAU Do Post UTME Screening?
The answer to this question is YES! The Obafemi Awolowo University does post UTME screening, to screen out qualified candidates who scored up to the school’s cut off mark.
The OAU Post UTME screening is an examination where candidates seeking admission into various courses in OAU are given 40 questions to answer from. Take note that 10 questions are picked from each of the candidate’s JAMB subject combinations.
What Is the Official OAU JAMB Cut Off Mark?
The Obafemi Awolowo University JAMB cut-off mark to be qualified for the post-UTME screening exercise for the 2022/23 academic session is 180/200. However, the official OAU JAMB cut off marks is yet to be announced by the school board.
However, for candidates who are seeking admission into OAU Pre-Degree, the OAU JAMB cut-off mark for Pre-degree admission is 180.
How To Calculate OAU Aggregate.
Here is the best method used by the institution’s admission board to calculate the OAU aggregate and offer admission to candidates to scored up or higher than their course aggregates.
Aggregate = JAMB score divided by 8+post UTME score+ O’ level score.
Please take note that you can be able to get your O’ level score by using the five most relevant subjects of your course.
These O’ level scores can be calculated by using the grading system below.
- A1 = 2.0 points
- B2 = 1.8 points
- B3 = 1.6 points
- C4 = 1.4 points
- C5 = 1.2 points
- C6 = 1.0 points
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Do note that the OAU aggregate score is over 100%.
OAU Admission Requirements For Direct Entry 2022/2023
This is the official OAU admission requirement for candidates seeking admission through Direct Entry (D.E).
- The school board requires all DE candidates to have five (5) credit passes in their O’ level result in at least two sittings.
- All D.E candidates must have IJMB/ ‘A’ level passes in two subjects, which must be related to the course they are applying for.
- All Direct Entry (D.E) candidates must pass A’ level / JUPEB in related subjects.
- Candidates must have First class or second class upper in the related field for their course of choice.
- It’s mandatory that all candidates seeking admission through Direct Entry to purchase the OAU Direct Entry form from the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) or through the OAU portals.
- Candidates are to have a minimum of merit passes in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), and other Advanced Level Certificates.
Does OAU Accept 2 Sittings?
The Answer is YES!
The answer is YES, Obafemi Awolowo university accepts two sittings. Candidates should also note that OAU accept both WAEC and NECO results. Awaiting results is also accepted but candidates must have to upload the results within a stipulated time after the result have been released, or have their admission forfeited.
OAU Admission Requirements For Medicine And Surgery.
- To be gainfully admitted into OAU medicine and surgery, there’s a need to start scoring high from your O’level result. Because the OAU Medicine and Surgery course is highly competitive.
- It’s mandatory to score at least, 280 and above in JAMB.
- Candidates should at least score 36 points in their Post UTME screening.
- Candidates should have A’s and B’s in their O’ level results to be offered admission into OAU Medicine and Surgery.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All candidates seeking admission to study Medicine and Surgery in OAU should note that they are required to have an aggregate score of 80% and above. This course is competitive.
OAU Admission Requirements For Law.
Another high competitive course in OAU, is Law. Although it’s not as competitive as Medicine and Surgery, it’s however highly sought-after. The aggregate for the faculty of law is 68% and above. Law also makes use of catchment areas, there are different cut-off marks for different states and Lagos state has the lowest cut off points.
Another note-worthy fact about OAU Faculty of Law is this, candidates could reach the aggregate score required and still not be offered admission.
You can read more about OAU LAW Admission Requirement and OAU Law Cut off Marks by Clicking Here.
However, if you’re in a catchment area, that is, candidates from Ondo, Osun, Oyo, Ogun, Ekiti, and Lagos state, you stand a better chance of getting admitted into OAU Faculty of Law, compared to candidates from other states.
OAU Admission Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Answers.
CAN I ENTER OAU WITHOUT JAMB?
The Answer is YES!
You can gain admission into Obafemi Awolowo University without writing JAMB. Have you heard of IJMB, JUPEB? Aside IJMB, there are other means candidates can use in getting admitted into OAU, and these includes:
- Direct Entry.
- OAU JUPEB program.
- NABTAB A’ level.
- Cambridge A’ level.
Do you have other questions that was not answered on this page? Please do use the comment section and ask away. One of the Dailyschoolnews staff will answer shortly.