Here are the official JAMB subject combination for Political science, O’level (WAEC, NECO, GCE) subject combinations, Political science admission requirements, and Nigerian academic institutions accredited to award degrees in this course.
The first thing you need to do before your JAMB registration is to check whether the University/Polytechnic you want to choose is accredited by the NUC or NBTE to study Political science.
Here are the core Political science subjects you must enrol and pass to be eligible for admission to study Political Science in any accredited Universities/Polytechnics in Nigeria.
It is important that prospective Political science students, according to the JAMB admission requirement, get a minimum of five (5) credits in their O’ level (WAEC, NECO or NABTEB) core subjects, and out of these subjects, you will pick 3 subjects (English Language) is mandatory in JAMB. You should be aiming to score at least, 200+ in JAMB to have a better chance of getting admission offers.
Here are the Required Subjects to study Political Science in Nigeria.
- English Language.
- Literature in English.
- Any two (2) Arts or Social Science subjects (Government, Economics, Commerce e.t.c)
Direct Entry (D.E) Requirement:
Two (2) A Level passes including Government or History.
- Five (5) SSC credit passes in Government or History, English Language and three (3) other subjects.
- A pass in Mathematics is required.
Political Science JAMB Subject combination:
Government or History plus two (2) other Social Science/Arts subjects.
WAEC Subject Combination For Political Science.
It’s mandatory that candidates writing WAEC sits for a minimum of eight (8) subjects and a maximum number of nine (9) subjects.
However, out of these eight or nine subjects, you are only required to pick the five core subjects needed to study Political Science in Nigerian universities/Polytechnics.
WAEC Core Subjects.
- Mathematics (At least a pass is required).
- English Language.
- Government or History.
- Any two (2) Arts or Social Science subjects (Literature, Economics, Commerce, CRS e.t.c)
List Of Federal Universities That Offers Political Science
Not all Universities in Nigeria offers Political Science, to help you guide your choice, I have provided you with the list of Universities that offers Political Science in Nigeria…
- Abia State University, Uturu.
- Achievers University Owo.
- Adamawa State University, Mubi.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko.
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State.
- Afe Babalola University , Ado-Ekiti.
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden.
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina.
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
- Anambra State University, Uli.
- Babcock University (Babcock).
- Bauchi State University, Gadau, Bauchi State.
- Bayero University, Kano.
- Benue State University, Makurdi.
- Bingham University, Karu.
- Bowen University, Iwo.
- Caleb University, Imota.
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike, Enugu.
- Chrisland University, Owode, Ogun State.
- Christopher University, Mowe, Ogun State.
- Covenant University, Canaan Land, Ota.
- Delta State University, Abraka.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki.
- Edwin Clark University, Kiagbodo, Delta State.
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti.
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu.
- Federal University, Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State.
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina State.
- Federal University, Gashua, Yobe State.
- Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara State.
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State.
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State.
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State.
- Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State.
- Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa State.
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State.
- Fountain University, Osogbo.
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu- Nike.
- Gombe State University, Tudun Wada, Gombe.
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State.
- Hezekiah University, Umudi, Imo State.
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai.
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji.
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna.
- Kogi State University, Anyigba.
- Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin.
- Madonna University, Okija.
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi.
- Niger Delta University , Wilberforce Island.
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.
- Novena University Ogume.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
- Obong University, Obong, Ntak.
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu.
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye.
- Plateau State University, Bokkos.
- Redeemers University.
- Renaissance University, Ojiagu-Agbani, Enugu.
- Ritman University,Ikot-Ekpene,Akwa-Ibom State.
- Sokoyo State University, Sokoto.
- Southwestern University, Okun-Owa, Ogun State.
- Summit Univerity, Offa, Kwara State.
- Tansain University, Oba, Anambra State
- Umaru Musa Yaradua University, Katsina.
- University Of Calabar, Calabar.
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan.
- University Of Ilorin, Ilorin.
- University Of Jos, Jos.
- University Of Lagos.
- University Of Maiduguri.
- University Of Mkar, Gboko.
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka.
- University Of Uyo (UNIUYO).
- Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto.
- Wellspring University, Irhihi/Ogbaneki, Benin City.
- Wesley University Of Science And Technology. Ondo.
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
Political Science Frequently Asked Questions.
Is Government compulsory for Political Science in JAMB?
NO, Government is not a compulsory subject to select during JAMB registration if you want to study Political Science.
However, government as a subject is accepted if you choose to SELECT it during your JAMB registration. Government is not mandatory a subject to select during JAMB. You can choose to select another subject that is an Art or Social Science subject.
What are the compulsory subjects for Political Science?
These are the core Political science subjects: Use of English, you can pick any three (3) Arts or Social Science subjects of your choice.
These are the O’level (WAEC, NECO) core subjects;
- English Language,
- Government or History,
- and any other Social Science subject.
What are the main subject of Political Science?
However, during your JAMB registration, you can choose to add any other art or Social Science Subject like Government, CRS, commerce, etc.
Is Maths compulsory in JAMB for Political Science?
NO, Mathematics is not a compulsory subject to study or select during your JAMB registration for Political Science. However, it is compulsory in your O’level results. So make sure you have atleast a pass in Maths for your O’level, and completely ignore it during your JAMB registration.
Can I Study Political Science Without commerce in Jamb?
YES, you can study Political Science without selecting Commerce during your JAMB registration. However, you need replace commerce with either a Art or Social science Subjects.
If you have any question regarding Political science admission requirements, O’level subject combinations, whether you can use two o’level results to seek admission, etc, don’t hesitate to use the comment box and reach out to us.