What is the official WAEC and JAMB subject combinations for getting admitted into any Nigerian higher institution to study Accounting? Accounting is one of the most sought-after course in Nigerian institutions, and getting admitted into any University of your choice to study Accounting, you need to make the right choices, or else, even if you scored 300+ in JAMB, you won’t be offered Admission to study accounting.
For readers asking me what are the Jamb Subject combination to study Accounting in Nigeria, welcome to this page, which is solely dedicated to giving you every required details about getting admitted into your school of choice, to study Accounting.
Do you questions like:
- Must I pass Maths in WAEC to study Accounting?
- what subjects are needed to study Accounting?
- What Subject Will I write in Jamb to Study Accounting?
Have you heard or seen candidates complaining that they scored 250+ in JAMB, but didn’t get admitted into the course they applied for, even though there were other candidates who scored less, but were offered admission into that same course?
The sad truth is that 90% of these candidates registered the wrong subject combination in Jamb and in their O’level (WAEC, NECO or NABTEB). Most times, they did get the wrong JAMB subject combinations, and there’s no way you will be offered admission if you choose the wrong subject combinations.
Most Important Subjects Required To Study Accounting
To study Accounting in any Nigerian higher institution, including Universities, Polytechnics, and Colleges of Educations, etc.
- English Language.
You’ll notice that the last two subjects have the Asterias each. This is to signify that any of these subjects may not be required in some cases (either JAMB or O’level). To give you a better understanding of this, I’ll be highlighting each of these subject and explaining in details, cases where they may be applicable or needed.
Government and Commerce: Subjects like Commerce and Government are needed for your O’ level exams like WAEC, NECO, NABTEB or GCE. However, when registering for JAMB, it will be your choice to decide whether you want to use Government or Commerce, that is, neither Government or Commerce is okay. I’ll recommend you choose the subject you’re most knowledgeable, i.e, during your JAMB registration.
However, subjects such as English Language, Economics and Mathematics are very IMPORTANT, both in JAMB and your O’ level. This means that you need to know these subjects if you want to be successful, and want to study Accounting/Accountancy in Nigeria.
JAMB Subject Combination For Accounting.
Every candidate registering for JAMB, either UTME or Direct Entry (D.E) are expected and MUST choose four (4) subjects that are the correct combinations for your course, and in this case, Accounting/Accountancy.
It is compulsory that every candidate chooses the USE of English. It’s automatically selected. Which means you are given the option of picking the correct subject combinations for Accounting.
- Use of English.
- You can choose other Social Science subject.
To be confidence that you’re doing everything right from your side to be admitted into Accounting, try your best to score you 250 and above. However, most academic institutions cut off marks for accounting, starts from 180 and above.
WAEC Subject Combination For Accounting.
In JAMB, you are required to choose a maximum of four subjects, but in your O’level, you are to sit for at least, Eight subjects (8) and a maximum of nine (9) subjects. However, out of this Nine or Eight subjects you selected, five of these core subjects must be related to the course you want to go for, and in this case, it’s Accounting.
Waec Required Subjects for Accounting are as Follows:
- English Language.
You can choose any of the three (3) or four (4) subjects remaining that you’re strong in. Meaning subjects you’re more powerful in, knowledgeable and can boost your WAEC result. The above subjects are very important, and if you don’t have, at the very least, a pass in these subjects, your aim of getting admitted to study accounting may be in jeopardy.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When we say WAEC subject combination for Accounting, this includes all O’ level exams, including: NECO, NABTEB etc.
List Of Federal Universities Offering Accounting.
I always advice candidates applying for admission into any Nigerian university of their choice, to ensure that the course they are applying, is accredited by the National Universities Commissions (NUC). Take note that not all Universities in Nigeria are offering Accounting, and some universities offering accountings aren’t accredited.
Here’s the list of accredited Universities that offers Accounting in Nigeria.
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba (AAUA).
- Abia State University, Uturu (ABSU).
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU).
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada (UNIABUJA).
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University.
- Bauchi State University, Gadau.
- Benue State University, Makurdi.
- Cross River State University of Science & Technology.
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki.
- Ekiti State University (EKSU).
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina.
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State.
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State.
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU).
- University of Jos (UNIJOS).
- University of Lagos (UNILAG).
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU).
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID).
- Nasarawa State University Keffi.
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU).
- Plateau State University Bokkos.
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST).
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University.
- Osun State University Oshogbo.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK).
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN).
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO).
- Adamawa State University Mubi.
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike (MOUAU).
- Delta State University Abraka (DELSU).
Frequently Asked Questions.
- Is Government compulsory for Accounting in jamb?
The answer is NO. As I had earlier stated, Government is not a compulsory subject to Choose during your JAMB registration when you want to study Accounting in any higher institution in Nigeria. However, it is accepted for Admission to study Accounting. This means in place of Commerce, you can select government during your registration. But it is NOT compulsory.
- What are the compulsory subjects for Accounting?
The Compulsory Subject for Accounting In Jamb are as follows: Use of English, Economics, Mathematics and any other Social Science subject. (either government, or Commerce) However, for your O’level (WAEC, NECO, GCE), these are the compulsory subjects; English Language, Mathematics, Economics, Government and Commerce.
- What are the main subject for accounting?
The major subjects approved by JAMB for candidates who wishes to study Accounting are: Mathematics, English Language and Economics. Government or commerce can be used also to complete the number of subject to be four (4) as mandated by JAMB.
- Is maths compulsory in jamb for accounting?
Mathematics is a compulsory subject to study Accounting in Nigeria. You must have at least, a credit/pass in WAEC, and score high in JAMB. Mathematics is needed in both JAMB and WAEC.
- Is there accounting in jamb?
There is no subject called accounting when choosing the subjects you want to register for JAMB. the only subjects available during your JAMB registration as a candidate who wishes to study Accounting are; Jamb Use of English, Mathematics, Economics, Government/Commerce.
- Can I Study Accounting Without commerce in Jamb?
If when registering for JAMB, you didn’t choose Commerce, you can still be admitted into any Nigerian higher institution. You can study accounting without Commerce, but you will have to replace the subject (commerce) with a suitable social science subject like Government.