This page contains a list of courses offered in Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU). This is an updated list of all courses offered in this institution, including the AKSU admission requirements.
Knowing the list of courses offered in AKSU has become very necessary and important because aspiring students who wish to study at AKSU should know which courses are accredited and which ones are not.
About Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU).
The establishment and planning of Akwa Ibom State University started in October 2000, when the State Government inaugurated a Committee for the establishment of this academic institution.
The Committee which was inaugurated by the Akwa Ibom state government consisted of academics, technical experts and professionals. These experts in their various fields submitted an interim report to the then state Governor in April 2001 and submitted a final report in September 2001.
The report submitted by the University Establishment Committee was accepted by the State Government. Fast-forward to December 2001, the state government set up an Implementation Committee to oversee the necessary basic functions including the drafting of the enabling law towards the creation of the university.
The Bill which established Akwa Ibom State University of Technology (AKUTECH) was passed by the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly and signed into law by the then Executive Governor of the State, Arc. (Obong) Victor Attah on the 16th of April, 2003.
Although the philosophy of a technically-biased university was retained, the new governor of Akwa-Ibom state, His Excellency, Chief (Dr.) Godswill Obot Akpabio felt that the policy thrust of the Government should be the establishment of a conventional, multi-campus institution. This belief was the reason the name of the university was changed from Akwa Ibom State University of Technology (AKUTECH) to Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU).
The bill which establishing Akwa Ibom State University from Akwa Ibom State University of Technology (AKUTECH) was signed into law by His Excellency, Chief (Dr.) Godswill Obot Akpabio, the Executive Governor of Akwa Ibom in September 2010.
This first batch of students was admitted into the Faculties of;
- Natural and Applied Sciences,
- Oceanography and Naval Architecture,
While the Faculty of Social and Management Sciences was introduced during the 2011/2012 academic session of the institution.
The Akwa Ibom State University (Aksu) has 7 faculties which are listed below.
- Natural and Applied Science,
- Social Sciences,
- Management Sciences.
List of courses offered In AKSU.
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Animal Science
- Crop Science
- Soil Science
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
- History and International Studies
- Religious and Cultural Studies
- Performing (Theatre Arts)
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- Integrated Science Education
- Mathematics Education
- Physics Education
- Agricultural Engineering
- Chemical/Petrochemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Marine Engineering/Naval Architecture
- Mechanical Engineering
Natural and Applied Science.
- Genetics and Biotechnology
- Computer Science
- Geotechnique / Hydrogeology
- Petroleum Geology
- Applied Geophysics
- Marine Biology
- Biological sciences
- Mass Communication
- Political Sciences
- Public Administration
- Business Administration
AKSU Admission Requirements.
The following are the Akwa Ibom State University admission requirements.
- Applicants are required to have a minimum of Credit passes in Five (5) subjects including the English Language at SSCE, GCE O’Level, and any other equivalent examinations.
- Applicants must have a UTME score of at least 180 and above (subject to change) to be eligible for AKSU Post UTME screening.
- Post-UTME screening score of not less than 180.
- Make Akwa Ibom State University their 1st or 2nd choice during their JAMB Registration before they’ll be eligible to participate in the Post-UTME Screening Test.
- Applicants who scored less than 180 at the AKSU Post-UTME screening exercise are not qualified for admission into any programme in AKSU, no matter their JAMB result score.
- The Akwa Ibom State University calculates it’s aggregate score using a candidate’s UTME and Post-UTME screening scores.
- The AKSU cut-off mark for admission varies, depending on course selection.
AKSU Direct Entry Admission.
1. Applicants are required to have a minimum of credit passes in five subjects including the English Language at SSCE, GCE O’Level or equivalent qualification.
2. Either A’ levels, OND or NCE in relevant subject areas.
3. Applicants must have an acceptable score in the Direct Entry Screening Exercise before they will be considered for admission into AKSU.
4. The final selection is based on a combination of the candidate’s certificates and score in the Direct Entry screening test.