Today, I will be sharing with you, the best guide on How to apply for a UK temporary Worker visa in 2023 and get it approved by the UK immigration office.
What is the Temporary Worker Visa?
I have noticed that one of the major questions people who are interested in moving to the United Kingdom always ask, is this: What is UK’s Temporary Worker Visa and how does it work?
The Temporary Worker Visa is a permit specifically created for foreigners who are interested in travelling and working in the UK. However, the Temporary worker visa has a limited period of time (it usually has a maximum expiration date of 12 months).
Specially Picked for you.
- How Much is Qatar Working Visa? 2023 Latest Update.
- 7,500 Farm Jobs in Canada with Visa Sponsorship in 2023 | No IELTS Required.
- Canada Tourist Visa 2023 | Move to Canada as a Visitor.
- Malaysia Hotel Jobs for Foreigners with Visa Sponsorship – 2023 Latest Updates
Expatriates or foreign nationals interested in moving, working and living in any part of the UK can apply for this visa. However, before applying for the UK temporary worker visa, you need a job offer from a licensed UK sponsor before they can submit their Temporary Worker Visa application.
However, the UK’s government has some exceptions for a few countries, especially those in Europe. Candidates seeking to move and start working in the UK can come under the Youth Mobility Scheme, provided that they meet specific requirements. This is possible for applicants from a small number of countries that will be listed below.
However, if you’re a highly skilled foreign worker, there’s a high likelihood that this immigration route won’t work for you. Highly-skilled foreign workers should endeavour to apply for a Skilled Worker Visa.
List of UK’s Temporary Work Visa categories?
Foreign nationals looking to migrate to the UK through this Temporary worker visa can apply for any of the following categories to travel to the UK:
- Charity Workers: This category is open for expatriates, especially those covering unpaid or voluntary roles for a UK-registered charity.
- Creative and Sporting: The UK is home to one of the biggest sporting leagues in the world, so it makes sense that they will create a category for sportsmen and sportswomen. This category caters only to highly skilled sportspersons, musicians or actors. Sportspersons must be internationally recognised at the highest level in their sport. If they are not recognised, they can still enter the UK to make a significant contribution to the development of their area of interest.
- Government Authorised Exchange: This work visa permit is only available for citizens of countries who have signed an approved exchange scheme with the UK government. Under the Governmental authorized exchange visa, young students/expatriates are allowed by the UK’s government to get work experience, training or academic research in the UK. People who came into the UK through this visa route are also allowed to partake in an Overseas Government Language Programme.
- International Agreement: Another type of UK’s temporary worker visa is called International Agreement. This visa/permit is only available for workers whose job offer is covered by international law. This includes embassy and diplomatic employers under the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) who hold a certificate released by an accredited UK organisation.
- Religious Workers Visa: Last but not the least on this list, is called the Religious Workers Visa. This visa is only available for clerics. People that are hired for preaching, trained to work in a monastery or convent by a religious order in the United Kingdom.
UK Temporary Worker Visa Requirements?
Before you can be deemed qualified for the UK Temporary worker visa, and eligible to apply for this visa, you must meet the following requirements mentioned below:
- A valid job offer from a UK-based institution which holds a Certificate of Sponsorship and the company must be legally allowed to hire international workers (foreign nationals) by the UK government.
- You must provide a certificate of sponsorship from your sponsor.
- You must have at least, £1,270 in savings, available in your bank account for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for the UK temporary worker visa.
One important factor you should not forget, is this: Some of the Temporary worker visa category requires you to complete an English language test (IELTS).
There are two ways to bypass the English Language Test either you choose to prove your knowledge of English by providing a degree taught or researched in English, or provide an approved language qualification.
Even though your Sponsor have been certified by the UK government to employ foreign workers, there will still be various on-site visit from the compliance officers, and the reason for these visitations is to ensure that both the migrant workers and the company, are complying with their duties.
The Dailyschoolnews London immigration lawyers will be providing you with answers to any question you have regarding the Temporary Work Visa. You can reach out to us through the contact form, or our Whatsapp number/email for more information.
Creative and Sporting categories.
Who do the UK immigration office describes as Creative and Sportspeople? The UK temporary worker visa is granted to a sportsperson travelling to work as an entertainer in the UK.
A professional sportsperson is someone who provides services in this field, either as an athlete, coach or in other field related to sport. A sportsperson is someone who provides this service either at a professional or semi-professional level of their sport.
The UK immigration office recognises and deem you eligible and qualified as a Sportsperson if the applicants have represented their country’s national team within the previous two years, or have an established international reputation in their chosen sport.
Foreign nationals applying for the UK’s temporary worker visa through the Creative workers category, should know that the UK immigration office only recognises dancers, actors and models in the fashion industry.
Dancers, actors, and models in the Fashion industry are eligible and qualified to apply for a Temporary Worker Visa, only if their sponsor can show that the post could not have been filled by a British worker.
However, Artists can bring their entourage using a group Certificate of Sponsorship, However, they will have to prove to the UK’s immigration officer on duty, specialist skills of each member given temporary work visa.
Government Authorised Exchange & International Agreements.
Government Authorised Exchange (GAE)
Another category under the Temporary worker visa is the government authorized exchange (GAE). All qualified applicants moving into the UK under this subcategory are required to learn new skills through work placements.
However, this visa cannot be used to bring unskilled foreign employers to the UK.
The UK’s immigration office only make an exception of academic researchers that are sponsored by an approved institution in the country. But individual employers, and organisations are not allowed to sponsor any applicant under the government authorised exchange (GAE) category.
Any expatriate who wishes to enter the UK through this category should know that this particular category is only available for candidates who wish to enter the UK to provide a service covered under international law. These service includes:
- Private servants in diplomatic households,
- Employers of overseas governments,
- or any agreement between the United Kingdom and another country.
Documents Required for UK Temporary Worker Visa.
Before your Temporary Worker Visa can be approved by the UK’s immigration office, you must have:
- A valid job offer from a UK-based institution.
- A certificate of sponsorship from your sponsor.
- At least £1,270 in your bank available for at least 28 days in a row.
Based on the type of work that you will be doing, you may be required to complete an English language test.
There’s the likelihood that your sponsor will get regular on-site visitation from the compliance officers at any time, to ensure that migrant workers, as well as the company, are complying with their duties.
What is a Certificate of Sponsorship?
This is an important number required from all applicants when applying for a temporary worker visa permit. I didn’t make any mistake when calling the certificate of Sponsorship an important number.
A certificate of sponsorship is not a certificate nor a paper document. Rather, it is a reference number containing all the needed information about your job and your personal details.
When applying for a Temporary Worker Visa, take note that your sponsor will give you your sponsorship reference number, and this sponsorship reference number must be reported on your forms.
Take note that your sponsorship reference number will be valid for just three (3) months from the date it is assigned to you. The Reference number or certificate of sponsorship is important because it grants you access to leave and return to the UK multiple times over the course of your visa duration.
How to Apply for the UK Youth Mobility Scheme.
Young people between the ages of eighteen (18) to thirty (30) from selected countries can experience living and working in the UK for up to 2 years by applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme.
This category of Temporary Worker Visa is available only for British overseas citizens and for nationals of the following countries listed below:
- New Zealand,
- Hong Kong,
- Republic of Korea,
However, it is important to disclose here that this Youth Mobility visa Scheme is closed to people living in the UK who have children they are financially responsible for, or have already travelled to the United Kingdom through any working holiday visa.
To be eligible for the UK Youth Mobility Visa, applicants must have at least £1,809 of available funds in the account within the last 28 days before their visa can be approved.
Genuine Migrant Test for Foreigners Going to UK?
Before the UK embassy or Immigration office will issue you, your visa, the UKVI must check if you have a genuine plan to undertake the role for which you received a job offer in the United Kingdom.
The Migrant Test applies to all categories of temporary workers listed above. However, the only category exempted from taking the UKVI test are those under the seasonal employment scheme.
The UKVI will make its decision taking into account your:
- Knowledge of the role;
- Previous relevant experiences:
- Explanation of how the recruitment process went through.
Finally, as a part of your UKVI Migrant Test, there’s the possibility that all applicants may be required to provide additional information and evidence about your working experience in that particular field you were given a job offer. You may also be summoned for an interview.