Nigerian students seeking to study Computer science as a course should be careful in choosing an accredited institution approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
This page covers everything you need to know about Computer science as a course, list of Nigerian Universities offering Computer science, Waec subject combination, O’level requirements, Computer science JAMB subject combinations, UTME and Direct Entry admission requirements.
Before choosing to study Computer Science in any University of your choice, you are required to have sit for either WAEC, NECO or GCE and score high in the required subjects to ensure you stand a better chance of getting admitted into any University of your choice.
Candidates seeking admission into a Nigerian University should ensure that his/her JAMB result (score), Post UTME score, and WAEC grade is good, especially in the computer science subjects combinations.
Nigerian tertiary institutions now calculate your O’level results (either Waec, NECO, GCE), your JAMB score and Post UTME score, to determine whether you’re qualified or not. When all these are calculated, the aggregate score is what determines whether you are eligible for admission to study Computer Science.
Better still, candidates who got their O’level result (Waec, Neco, GCE) in one sitting have a better chance of getting admitted into their chosen institution to study Computer Science than those who are using two sittings (Combination of Waec, Neco, or GCE result).
O’LEVEL SUBJECT REQUIREMENT FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE.
When we say O’level requirements, O’level means either your (WAEC/NECO/NABTEB) results. The Waec, Neco, GCE result requirement for Computer Science (UTME CANDIDATES) are as follows:
All UTME candidates are required to score at least, five (5) SSC credit passes in the following subjects:
- English Language,
- plus two (2) other science subjects (Chemistry, Agric, Economics, Geography, etc).
JAMB SUBJECT COMBINATION FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE.
- English Language (This subject is compulsory for all UTME/DE Candidates),
- You can choose one subject from any of these: Biology, Chemistry, Agric Science, Economics and Geography. (However, you should check out some Universities special Waivers.)
DIRECT ENTRY REQUIREMENT FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE.
Candidates seeking admission into a Nigerian University to further their studies through Direct Entry, should take note of the following:
- Two (2) ‘A’ Level passes in science subjects including Mathematics.
- NCE merit in Mathematics and one (1) other Science or Social Science subject.
What is the meaning of Special Consideration (Waiver)?
When we say Special Waivers, this means the additional requirement for a particular course in a particular academic institution. For example, All Nigerian Universities accept the Use of English, Mathematics, and Physics (including one additional science course) as the official JAMB subject combination for Computer science.
However, note that if your school of choice (the institution you chose during your UTME/D.E registration), have a special consideration for either O’level Requirement, UTME Subject Combination or Direct Entry Requirement, then please take note of it.
Sometimes, the school requirements for computer science might be slightly different from the general requirement. We advise you to read through this waiver and get to know your desired school’s special consideration for your selected course. THIS IS NECESSARY else you might be denied admission even if you have the highest JAMB/Post UTME score.
Recommended: 10 African Universities Ranked BEST In Computer Science.
Computer Science Special Considerations.
What is Computer Science?
Computer Science is the study of the theory, experimentation, and engineering forming the basis for the design and use of computer systems. One can also define Computer science as the study of processes that interact with data. These Data (programs) enable the use of algorithms to manipulate, store, and communicate digital information.
As a computer science student, there are important details you need to know. For example, you need to know which department this course belongs to. Computer Science as a course can be placed in the Science department of a University, and another university will place it in the Engineering Department.
However, you should know the difference. Universities that placed computer science in the science department will ensure the course is science-oriented, while Universities that placed in Engineering department will be focused on Engineering. As you can see, it’s the same course, but they’re using a totally different approach.
Computer Science Related Courses.
- Mathematics With Computer Science.
- Computer Science and Informatics.
- Computer Science with Economics.
- Education and Computer Science.
- Computer Science and Information Technology.
Take note that the Admission requirements for computer science as a course is also suitable for the following courses listed below.
- Computer, Information And Communication Science
- Computer Science And Informatics
- Computer Science And Information Technology
- Computer Science And Information Science
- Computer With Electronics
- Software Engineering
- Information Technology
- Data Management
- Management Information System
- Information And Communication Technology
- Information And Communication Science
- Computer Science With Economics
- Communication And Wireless Technology
- Telecommunication Management
- Telecommunication Science
- Cyber Security Science
- Telecommunication And Wireless Technology
- Communications Technology
- Library And Information Science
- Information Science And Media Studies.
Nigerian Universities Offering Computer Science.
Below, we have a comprehensive list of all Nigerian tertiary institutions offering Computer Science according to faculties.
- American University of Nigeria, Yola (AUN)
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Bells University of Technology, Otta
- Crawford University Igbesa
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Adamawa State University Mubi (ADSU)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Akwa Ibom State University of Technology, Uyo
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Anchor University Ayobo Lagos State
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross river State
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Caleb University, Lagos
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Chrisland University
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Coal City University Enugu State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Covenant University Ota, Covenant University Ota
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin Kwara State
- Cross River State University of Science &Technology, Calabar (CRUTECH)
- Crescent University (CUAB)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Ekiti State University
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Eastern Palm University Ogboko, Imo State
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State (FUD)
- Federal University Gashua, Yobe
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Kashere Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike, Ebonyi State (FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State (FUWUKARI)
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB)
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- Federal University of Technology, Akure
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
- Godfrey Okoye University, Ugwuomu-Nike – Enugu State
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun
- University of Ibadan (UI),
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna (KASU)
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- Kebbi State University, Kebbi
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil (KUST)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTY)
- Micheal & Cecilia Ibru University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- University of Mkar, Mkar
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy Kaduna (NDA)
- Northwest University Kano (NWU)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Novena University, Ogume,
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Science and Technology Okitipupa (OSUSTECH)
- Paul University, Awka – Anambra State
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Renaissance University, Enugu
- Rhema University, Obeama-Asa – Rivers State
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa (SLU)
- Sokoto State University
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa
- Summit University
- Tansian University, Umunya
- Tai Solarin University of Education Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TSUJ)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Michael Okpara University of Agricultural Umudike
- Umar Musa Yar’ Adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Hezekiah University, Umudi
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Wesley University of Science & Technology, Ondo
- Western Delta University, Oghara Delta State
- Yobe State University, Damaturu.
Computer Science Frequently Asked Questions.
Questions: Computer science course duration?
Answers: Most Universities in Nigeria demands four (4) years. Computer science is a Four (4) year course.
Questions: What are the WAEC subjects for computer science?
Answers: This is very important, note that the WAEC, Neco or GCE subject requirement for a computer science aspiring student comprise of 5 major science subjects (It’s better you scored a minimum grade of credit in these subjects). These major 5 science subject includes Mathematics, English, Physics and any other two science courses of your choice, and they can either be Biology, Chemistry, Economics or Geography.
Questions: What are the jamb subjects for computer science?
Answers: Use of English (which is compulsory), Mathematics, Physics, and you can choose from any one of these subjects: Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Geography.
Questions: Is biology compulsory for Computer science?
Answers: No. Biology is not compulsory. The compulsory subjects are English, Mathematics, and Physics.
Questions: Can I study computer science without chemistry?
Answers: The answer is Yes. If you are seeking admission into a Nigerian University.
Questions: Is maths compulsory for computer science?
Answers: Yes, Computer Science as a course demands the student to have studied mathematics for basic knowledge.
Questions: What is the major subject of computer science?
Answers: Computer science majors courses include:
- data structures,
- Programming languages,
- Systems, and theory.
However, electives include artificial intelligence, computer graphics, computer vision, cryptography, databases, networks, and scientific computing.